Bishop James E. Hunt
James Edward Hunt was the youngest of three sons of Thomas Hunt and Mary Ann Nelson Hunt, who lived in Bibb County Georgia. He was educated in Bibb County public schools. In May of 1940 Superintendent Hunt relocated to Albany, New York. He served in the United States Army from 1943 to 1944.
Superintendent Hunt was saved at the age of 21 years old, while attending a revival conducted by the late Elder C. H. Gordon. He was a member of the First Church of God in Christ in Albany, New York where, the late Bishop W. M. Wilborn was his pastor. At First Church he met and Married Leatrice Earnestine Ray, on February 24, 1946. To this union were born seven children; James E., Jeanette C., Charles E., Gregory, Verdelle, John T., and Dwight A. Hunt. Two foster children were welcomed to the family, one now deceased.
In 1955 Superintendent Hunt was called to the ministry and ordained in January 1958. He served as president of YPWW of the upper Hudson District, during which time he was enrolled and attended the Albany Bible Institute. With the supernatural compelling Call of God on his life, fueled by the conviction of the gift of one whom God has anointed to lead, Superintendent Hunt now took by faith steps to fulfill his lifeís mission. He began the path of his destiny in this grand old Church of God in Christ to which he is now inextricably linked.
Bishop founded the First Church of God in Hudson, New York; there he pastored for 2 years. In October of 1960 he was appointed to a storefront church in Beacon, New York. There he purchased the building, now called Faith Temple Church of God in Christ. During his tenure at Faith Temple, Bishop was led by the Lord to travel to Poughkeepsie, New York. There he met with a handful of people and a warm camaraderie quickly developed. Pastorís zest for holy living was infectious, thus Bethel Church of God in Christ was born.
Bishop Hunt pastored both churches for 2 years, while he was enrolled and attending Manhattan Bible Institute, where he earned a Master of Theology Degree in 1968. He subsequently appointed a pastor later at Faith Temple, and purchased property that housed the saints on 153 Main Street and named it Beth-El Church of God in Christ. Pastor attended Poughkeepsie College and Dutchess Community College and in 1978 he was conferred with a Doctorate Degree by Christ Theological Seminary.
Bishop was a visionary whose long arduous, unrelenting years of dedicated service to his flock and humanity stretches way beyond community boundaries, touching countless people from every walk of life. Throughout his life he maintained high moral and ethical standards. His qualities of living a pure and holy life were a living testament among the people. Many miracles were wrought as this holy man of God laid his hands on the sick. Peopleís health was restored and their faith renewed.
By 1994 Superintendent Hunt purchased the building previously owned by Faith Assembly of God at 91 Hooker Avenue. He intuitively and single-handedly master-minded and instructed the architects concerning the interior design of this now regally magnificent edifice.
Bishop was revered and respected by all as he served in ministry at Mattawan Prison and as chaplain in the Poughkeepsie Prison Systems. The Poughkeepsie Housing Authority was honored as he served on the Board of Directors for 5 years. Numerous recognitions and accolades by city and state officials have been awarded to him for acts of service and benevolence.
We continue to celebrate his life and continue the legacy of a man of God who did not merely preach a message. He was better than a sermon in words - his life was a sermon in action!